Saturday, June 5, 2010

2005 - Brick


Brick is an indie movie about a guy named Brendan (Gordon-Levitt) who finds his ex-girlfriend dead in a sewer (not a spoiler-this happens in the beginning of the film). The film is a sort-of detective story about him trying to figure out what happened to her.

This movie did pretty well on the indie circuit, and I tend to like indie films, but I had a hard time getting into this. I think because it is sort of high school "film noir". It was a little weird because it's completely unrealistic (although not necessarily in a bad way). I guess I was just expecting a straight-up high school story and not an old school detective story thrown in a high school setting. It's kind of hard to explain.

I thought the acting and the story was really great. It had it's funny moments too. Since they're high schoolers, the "bad buy" lives in his parent's basement and they go get cookies from his mom. Stuff like that was pretty funny.

It's also kinda slow, but a lot of indie films are, so I was expecting that. Overall, I don't have much to say about it. It was good, but not spectacular like some of the reviews I've read.

Random Thoughts:
-Wow. Joseph Gordon-Levitt really resembles Heath Ledger sometimes.
-I swear I’ve seen parts of this movie before, but I absolutely cannot remember watching it. I’m just having déjà vu during parts.
-They all mumble in this movie.
-Why is there never anybody else at this school? It’s always deserted. It's not summer because sometimes they go to class.

Verdict?
3.5/5 stars. I liked it. But it wasn't amazing or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment